How to Forward Your Mail After Moving

If you are unsure on how to have your mail forwarded after moving, it is important to find out how before you miss any important correspondence. One method is to send out a mass announcement in order to inform as many people as possible that you are moving to a new address, but it may take friends and family a while to get used to it. Furthermore, banks, credit card companies, organizations and government agencies may also be unaware that you have moved to a new home.

In order to ensure that you are receiving all of your mail at your new address, you will need to forward your mail with the help of the United States Postal Service (USPS). By doing so, you can rest assured that all your packages, letters, bills, magazines and other mail will be delivered to the correct address. Read more to learn why it is imperative to have your mail forwarded after you move and a quick breakdown on how to complete the process.

Why should you forward your mail when you move?

Having your mail forwarded is recommended whether you are moving to a new address temporarily or permanently. Forwarding your mail is the best way to make sure that you are not missing out on any important mail from your friends, family, government organizations or banks. In order to complete this simple process, all you will be required to do is fill out an official USPS change of address form.

How does a change of address form work?

Here are some keys aspects that can help you understand how the USPS change of address form works:

  • If you are permanently to a new home, you can use this form to officially update you address with the USPS.
  • If you are temporarily residing at a different address, you can choose to have your mail forwarded for any length of time between 15 days and one year.
  • Your credit card will be used to verify your identity.
  • After you choose the date you wish to begin forwarding your mail, all the mail that is sent to your previous address will instead be re-directed to your new address.
  • If you choose to forward your mail, you may be eligible to receive packets of coupons in the mail that are helpful to use while moving.

When you are setting up a mail forwarding service, you will be given the option to change your address.

Learn About Paid Premium Forwarding Service

When moving, you also have the option to purchase a Premium Forwarding Service as an alternative to the standard mail forwarding services. This form of temporary postal service can be set up and used for up to one full year. If you opt for this premium service, the USPS will hold your mail, package and ship it to you each week using their Priority Mail service. In order to apply, all you need to do is pay the one-time enrollment fee and any additional weekly fees until you stop using the service. Typically, the premium forwarding service is $21.10 upon enrollment or $19.35 if you decide to enroll online. Afterwards, the service costs $21.10 for each additional week. To find out more about Premium Forwarding service Residential, click here.

How to Forward Your Mail and Change Your Address

When you move to a new address, whether it is temporary or permanent, you will need to have your mail forwarded so that you do not miss any important correspondence. You have the option to set up your mail forwarding with the USPS either in person or online. After setting up the service, you will also receive coupons that can be helpful after moving. These include coupons from popular home goods and furniture stores such as Home Depot, Lowes, Casper, Overstock, Crate&Barrel and more. You may also be given the option to update or complete your voter registration application.


After you move, setting up mail forwarding online is the easiest and most convenient method. In order to complete the process, you will simply need to visit, select the “Quick Tools” tab and click on “Change My Address”. After selecting this tab, you will be taken to a page containing the USPS Official Change of Address form. ON this form, you will be required to enter your old address, new address and the date that you would like to begin having your mail forwarded. You may also choose to change your address online, but there will be a one-dollar charge that will be used to verify your identification and preventing any fraud.

In Person

Another option to change your mailing address is to visit your local post office in person and submit a request using the official change of address form 3575. After filling out the form and giving it to a postal worker at the post office, the process will be complete. Typically, the USPS will send out a confirmation letter to your new address within one week. When applying for a change of address in person, there will not be an additional one dollar fee used to verify your identity.

Things to Consider When Moving

  • Establish your domicile.
  • Change your address with the IRS.
  • Change your billing address with your credit card companies.
  • Get a new driver’s license by contacting the DMV.
  • Inform the Social Security Administration.
  • Update or complete your voter registration.
  • Update your address for magazine subscriptions.

Are your considering using a PO box?

If you are planning to use a PO box while you are moving, you are encouraged to set it up as soon as possible. In order to establish a PO box, you can sign up online and locate a nearby PO box that is available. You can choose between a few different sizes of PO boxes and then you will select the amount of time that you want to rent it. After completing the application, you will need to bring the printed form, your email receipt and two forms of ID to the post office. For more information about setting up a PO box, click here.